Tuesday, February 5, 2008

*sigh*

Man, there's no kind of guilt in the world worse than feeling like you've let your kid down. Nothing.

Chase is 5. He's a sweet, sweet boy. He's counting to 100, he's starting to read a little. He's growing into a big boy right in front of my eyes.

But I've failed him. I know that sounds melodramatic, but it's true.

I was 22 when Chase was born, thought I held the world on a string, and had been through the wringer in a lot of ways. Honestly. I was working full time, Stuart was working full time. Chase went to daycare. Between me being lazy and the daycare not helping, Chase used a bottle until his 2nd birthday. If I'd only realized what I was doing to my poor baby.

Last month he woke up screaming because his tooth hurt. We weren't on dental yet, but took him in to have it checked out. He had an infection in his molar. They put him on 10 days of antibiotics and said for him to come back to have it filled and possibly a cap or crown put on.

Today was the appointment. He completed his antibiotics, but his infection is back. They weren't able to fill the tooth. In fact, he's going to be on antibiotics again, and they're just going to pull the tooth next week and put a spacer in.

I feel horrible. For one, I've never been strict enough about tooth brushing. I was blessed with hearty teeth and have never had a cavity. (knock on wood) Stuart has really weak enamel and has had MANY dental problems. It looks like Chase inherited that.

So this is just a big old sigh from a mommy that feels really guilty. It sucks to know that I could've done something to prevent this. It sucks more to know that my little guy has been enduring pain and will again next week because of my oversight and laziness.

Dangit. I'm so sorry, little guy. :(

5 comments:

Mary said...

Awww....((hugs)) You did your best today and you will do the same from here forward, with minor slip-ups along the way because we are all human.

Love you,
Mary

The Little Wife said...

(hugs) You are only human. I know it's hard on you, but you are not alone. I know a lot of DD2s regression is because of me and what happened last year with work, daycare, the new baby, the new house, etc. We put her through the wringer too. You are a great mom! Chase knows that too.

Cirrus said...

Aww, you are a good mommy. It might just be the poor tooth genetics, ya know? My mom has terrible weak teeth, and my little brother had to have 19 fillings when he was 5. (You read that right--Nineteen. Out of 20 teeth.) He never had a bottle, and he was a good tooth-brusher too. Don't feel bad, mama. Chase is happy and healthy, and so darn sweet! (And thanks for the wake-up call--I've got to get more proactive on the tooth brushing thing with my little guy!) XO, Cirrus

The Bitler Family said...

You can not blame yourself. But I truely understand how you feel. Went threw almost the same thing w/ Ethan. Love you chickie!! Chin up!

Zach and Beth said...

Aww...poor little guy. Poor momma too. Please don't blame yourself though. We all make decisions we wish we could go back and change. It's okay. You are a fabulous mom and both kids know that. Many, many hugs to you!