Monday, December 10, 2007

True love

I am married to one fantastic man. He serves his community without recognition in the Veterans' Honor Guard and stands beside the families of veterans at the funeral. He respects these men and tells me all about it. So-and-so was in Korea, this guy was in Vietnam, they have stories to tell, and he absorbs them.

My husband and I have been together for a very long time. He and I were high school sweethearts - dating from the time I was a freshman. We took a couple of breaks here and there (when Mock Trial took too much of my life), but ultimately knew that we were meant to be together.

Next month we'll have been married 8 years. We've been through some stuff in these years. Unemployment, illness, pregnancies, bills, irresponsible spending, Salvation, babies, the CG, surgeries, celebrations, laughter and tears. I wouldn't give anything for those years. Even the rough ones.

I'm finally coming to a point in my life where I understand that it doesn't matter how much money someone has or doesn't have. It's not about the car you drive, the title you hold, real estate or stuff. It's about love. Do you have it? Do you give it?

The lessons we've learned as a couple have been far more valuable that most of those we learned from our parents. We've learned trust. We've learned compassion. We've learned honesty. We learned that God does put things in your way for you to learn a lesson, and gave us an opportunity to minister to a youth group that was able to learn from our trials and struggles that faith has to be the keystone.

I guess this blog is just a big ol' I LOVE YOU to my sweet husband. Thank you for sharing so much with me. I am proud of you - so proud. You can do ANYTHING, and I want to be standing beside you when it happens.

3 comments:

The Little Wife said...

First--you know how to bring tears to my eyes.

Second, S, is one lucky guy. You two seem like an amazing couple and those beautiful boys of yours are fortunate to have such loving parents who care about each other and can withstand hardship along with all the good times.

An early happy anniversary to you both.

Zach and Beth said...

Ok, not fair! You are NOT supposed to make me cry like that! I think he's just as lucky to have you, too, hon! *muah*

Mary said...

Amazing. Not only did you communicate the passion of your relationship, but you helped to fuel the fire of ours.

Thank you for being you.
Mary