Friday, April 25, 2008

Life isn't a dress rehearsal

You know those cliche' things that you hear repeatedly?  Do you ever really think about them?

I was chatting with my friend Sonya a few days ago, and we were talking about changes in my attitude and perspective.  We were talking about all kinds of things, frankly.  I told her how important it was to me to have a beautiful bedroom.  I have satin sheets on my bed, scarves hung from the ceiling as a canopy, curtains on the windows, and pretty things in there.  I've never had a room that was beautiful like this, and my parents certainly never had a bedroom that was an oasis - a retreat.

She then said, "You know, Amber, life isn't a dress rehearsal.  You've got to make the most of it while you can."

I'll tell you I've heard that saying so many times before, but it really started to sink in the other day.  I do need to make the most of each day.  

Today I got some news that made me appreciate that advice even more.  You know, we never know how many days we're going to be here.  We don't know how many more kisses we have to give, hugs left to offer, tears to shed.  We aren't guaranteed that we'll wake up tomorrow.  There's no promise that we'll see the kids grow up and have kids of their own.  

I'm not trying to be all doomsday and negative.  Quite the contrary.  Because we aren't guaranteed anything in this life, we need to take advantage of every moment.  Kiss like you'll never see him again.  Hold your children like it's the last time.  Tell your friends you love them and the impact they've had on your life.  Stop your bad habit that you've been wanting to change.  Find a friend you lost contact with.  Say I'm sorry.  Forgive someone.  

The truth is, this is the life we're getting.  It's up to us to make the most of it.  There's no understudy, and there's no do-over.  This is it.  

Go break a leg.  ;)

2 comments:

The Little Wife said...

There are no words except: I couldn't agree more. I've been struggling with a lot and am hell-bent on making the most of everything.

You go get 'em girl. Let's enjoy it all even the not-so-great moments. Love ya'!

Zach and Beth said...

Couldn't have said it any better. I think it's high time we all spent a little more time on the good stuff.

Love you!